Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cow and Chicken

Cow and Chicken
Okay so I have been resistant to adding chickens to the ranch because of the predator potential. I love my chickens and it would break my heart to have any one of them get offed by a coyote or some other foul, hungry beast. But when we visited the family we got Vi from, we saw that they had no extraordinary protection for their chickens. They let their hens free range through the goat area and hadn't had problems with them getting assassinated.

So, we're giving it a try. Yes, that's right. Test chickens. I got 6 today. 3 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Leghorns, and an Australop. The feedstore guy said his chicken used to groom his dog all the time and was betting these chickens would fit well in the goat grooming business. We shall see.

Vanilla, Nest Box Quality Control Inspector
Right now, they fit well in the goat entertainment business because the goats are quite taken with them. The babies especially, love to follow the chickens all around and observe their fascinating chicken antics. The chickens, on the other hand, seem bewildered about where they are and what their job is. I think their job should be flycatching. I know my chickens at home go nuts when a fly appears. Do flies really taste that good? *gag*

No comments:

Post a Comment