Monday, December 2, 2013

Pie Post

The Three Sisters Garden was a huge success squash-wise. The corn didn't do much and there are still stalks of it trying to grow in the first row. The beans--none harvested to date. However, they are hanging on in that first row among the corn and yes, squash. Pretty sure that last group of plantings is yellow squash although it could very well be stubborn zucchini. To date, half of the Three Sisters garden has been seeded with cole crops: Broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. I also tossed in a few winter banana squash seeds, you know, cause I need more squash like I need a hole in my head!

The other half is still being built. Rows of manure and bad straw, laden with soil are resting beneath tarps and waiting/composting for spring planting. I have plans to re-fence this garden since the existing fence was a roll of low, used field fence I found at the back of the property. But not to worry. I have lots of old but in better shape fence to carry out this task. (More on why that is so later.)

Anyways, what to do with all those pumpkins...

PUMPKIN PIE

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
4 large eggs
3 cups pumpkin (boiled, skinned, mashed, strained)
1 cup goat milk

2 unbaked pie shells

Mix everything in a bowl untill well blended. Pour half into each pie shell and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in pie center comes out clean. Chill and then eat.


You will notice that fresh pumpkin that is boiled for pies comes out a lighter color than canned. I've often wondered why. My theory is that they grind up the skins into the canned version which would explain the definite orange-ness of it (or maybe it's food coloring?). Skinless is decidely dark yellow. From past pumpkin experiments I've decided that the skins are too gross and rubbery to go into recipes and are much better off given to the chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment