Monday, February 13, 2012

Silly Weeds

It's almost time for planting, but the nights are still too cold. While I wait for spring to officially get here, I'm working on getting the Gigantic Garden cleaned up and ready. There are a lot of these in there:

All of the animals like to eat those weeds, but I know the chickens, goats, sheep, and cows would eat the things I don't want them to eat like the dill, garlic, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, beets, and rosemary left over from last year. I was reading online about Weeder Geese and wondered if any old goose would do. The page specifically states strawberries, corn, and cotton as the crops the geese can be set in, but since there wasn't a lot of veggies left in the garden, I figured I'd chance it and see what happened.


Since Silly Goose seems to think I'm her gander and hasn't fallen in love with the two very male Pekin ducks we have like BB the other goose has, I decided to give her a break from being constantly chased and employee her in the garden...


She took to that idea right away. The two of us set to picking weeds. I pulled 15 gallons of weeds and fed them to the chickens and sheep. Silly ate all the weeds she pulled. I kept an eye on her to see if it really was true that geese wouldn't eat the other garden plants. She was picky and feasted on the grasses, dandelions, and stray alfalfa. She did such a good job that I left her in there until sunset when it was time to go to the coyote proof coop.

No comments:

Post a Comment