Friday, October 18, 2013

Absent Bellow

Doc Mary was scheduled to visit Karma September 25, 2013 because my cow had bellowed 20 days prior. And lo and behold, she was bellowing the morning of the 25th as well. She was apparently NOT pregnant. I had called Doc Mary's receptionist and gave her the message that my cow appeared to be in heat, and if she could get a hold of Doc Mary and ask her to bring her tank of Jersey semen, that would be great. But I had no message back and wondered if it would happen. It was late to be breeding her as I don't like milking in the stifling heat of summer.

I did my morning chores and called a lady we know who also keeps milk cows out in Sahuarita. Doc Mary had told me prior that they had a bull there and maybe if the AI didn't work, I should consider renting a bull to get the job done. They indeed, had a bull on site. A mini Jersey, polled and apparently good at jumping to reach the taller ladies. I acquired the bull owner's information and called her for good measure in case it came to all that.

By afternoon chores Doc Mary was there and she had gotten my message. I apologize for my lack of pictures. I was too busy bribing my affectionate cow to get her into the stanchion. The doc checked inside and confirmed that things were ripe and ready for planting season. I assisted by keeping my cow's hip in position so she didn't sway to one side or the other. Then the straw of Jersey juice was stuck in and the trigger pulled.

Karma's ear tag 'fell out' too while Doc was there. She made sure I cleaned the bad looking area up real good and put betadine on it. It's healed up now, just a little patchy as Karma likes to rub that ear on the trees a lot.

The next bellow date was October 15th. There was silence in the cow pen and it has been decidely quiet since then. So...I think she has a half mini Jersey bun in the oven. I hope it hangs on and stays put. If so, look for a calf June 2014. Cross your fingers for a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment